Saturday, December 16, 2006

Recap Dec. 16, 2006


WEATHER: I am not sure how many people didn't show up thinking it was pouring rain. In Venice, we had a 10-minute cloudburst before we started, then it was great the rest of the way. The field was fine and we even had some sunshine. In the future, when in doubt, show up. It was a bit chilly by LA standards but we wound up playing 2 ½ hours.

SCHEDULE: We are not playing Dec. 23. After getting enough commitments, we will now play Dec. 30, but I will send a reminder. Also, Brent promises some photos on the blog in the next couple of days.

WELCOME: This is from a week ago, when I wasn't there, but a big hello to Mike, whom Brent named Rugby Mike.

CATCH OF THE DAY: Has to go to Toby for his great grab and concentration. He was near the right sideline and had to simultaneously secure the ball, while "dotting the I" in keeping his first foot in.

PLAY OF THE DAY: Patrick decided to QB a series and he didn't exactly remind anyone of Peyton Manning. However, on 4th-and-long he managed to avoid Brent's rush and heave a deep pass to David, who got past the defender for a TD.

WEIRD PLAY OF THE DAY: I caught a pass and tried my version of the spin move as Ray was trying to make the tackle. However, my spin move needs work and I lost control of the ball. David happened to be hanging around and the snagged the ball for a turnover.

SECOND CHANCE: Marino, playing linebacker, made a nice pick on a play, but the QB was ruled sacked. So two plays later, he stepped in front of the receiver and got an interception that counted this time.

GRANPA MOSES: That's what Brent called me based on the way I shuffled after my first catch. It was chilly and I was tight, which is as good an excuse I can muster.

FROSTBITE? It was in the upper 50s and felt cold, so it was weird when Sheri took off her receiver's gloves and the tips of her fingers were white.

HIGHLIGHTS: Sheri had several nice grabs, including one nice slant she took in for a TD. … Brent showed some good hands on several plays, then used his patented stretch the ball technique for a couple of scores. … I made a very nice catch running a deep slant near the sideline. The ball was a tad low and I stretched out and made the grab. … Ray made an outstanding catch for a touchdown, despite tight coverage from Toby. Both went up for it, and Ray was able to use his body position to haul the ball in. … In addition to his catch of the day, Toby was big all day as a receiver. Even when he drops one he looks good doing it. … Patrick got what turned out to be the game-winner on a nice pass from David that Patrick secured and sprinted into the end zone.

Hope everyone enjoys their Christmas or whatever holiday you celebrate!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home